Visionary Design Awards

Robert Llewellyn playing KrytenI found out today that ClacksWeb (external link) has been shortlisted in the Public Sector category of the Visionary Design Awards (external link), and needless to say I'm chuffed. So I'm off to London next week for the awards, presented by old ice cube head himself, Robert Llewellyn.

There are some interesting sites on the shortlists for all the categories, but what particularly caught my eye was the Inaccessible Website Award category. What a fantastic idea that is - it should get some good publicity, and while I'm sure that Kate Bush and Blays Net Ratings deserve their nominations, I can't help but feel that if Disney World were to win it would bring the greatest benefit to the accessibility cause.

Update 23rd February: Last night BBC Radio Scotland (external link) ran a short piece on the awards on their Newsdrive programme. It's nice to hear web accessibility discussed on national radio, especially at prime time (this went out at about 5:30pm). Kudos to Radio Scotland. You can download it here: radioscotland.mp3 (2mb, 4 minutes 27 seconds, mp3).

Update 4th March: Well, we didn't win, but I had a great night nonetheless, thanks in no small part to the lovely Judy Friend and Pat Beech between whom I sat. The speakers were extremely good, as was the food and wine. Congratulations to Great Sampford Primary School (external link) and all the other winners, except Kate Bush that is. :O)

Comments

Congrats on the nomination, Dan. That'd be pretty cool meeting Rob Llew.

Posted by: Dave at February 22, 2006 3:57 PM

That's awesome.

Posted by: Nick Mudge at February 23, 2006 9:14 PM

Good luck mate!

Gotta love the Inaccessible Website Award category - that little plaque will definitely find itself in someone's toilet...

Posted by: Karl at February 23, 2006 9:52 PM

Hey Dan. All the best of luck to you!

PS: Tell Rob that he's a smeghead :)

Posted by: Marco at February 27, 2006 6:11 PM

Thanks all, I'm looking forward to it, should be a blast.

@Marco, I'm sure he's heard that one before, but I'll do it anyway. ;)

Posted by: Dan at February 27, 2006 7:50 PM

Dan, I'm the ICT Governor at Gt Sampford Primary - many thanks for your congratulations, much appreciated.

The awards ceremony was the one of the most exciting, nerve wracking and memorable evenings of my life, one that me and the other folks from the school will treasure for a long time.

Naturally I'm elated at the school receiving the award, but I'm equally pleased that the publicity we're getting in the local press, radio and (hopefully) TV will spread the web accessibility message to people who probably haven't come across it before (parents, pupils, other schools, et al).

Posted by: Graeme at March 5, 2006 3:04 PM

Graeme, the congratulations were sincere, you've done a great job with the site and the award was thoroughly deserved. It's a great example to anyone building websites, not just to other schools. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: Dan at March 5, 2006 4:28 PM